Saturday, August 2, 2008

Denton America

I sit here this morning at my desk wanting to share with you the death of those 4 young men. I have not had a day go by that I haven't thought of them and their families and a post I read yesterday really affected me.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080720/NEWS01/807200304

I have been reeling from the funeral for those 4 young men. I have cried and cried since I left that little town I called home for 2 years. I can’t even begin to imagine how the parents feel. They were so strong and collected at the memorial, trying to comfort those who showed up for their son’s memorial. How wrong does that seem? The whole situation is wrong, and I know that no one will ever understand why the lives of these 4 young men were taken so tragically.

I knew those boys mainly from being a substitute teacher in that small community for 2 years. I got to know them pretty darn well in that time and remember how great they were. That town treats everyone as family from the minute you move into town. The first day I was there, they guys at the tire store, the postmaster and the lady who owned the grocery store knew my name…even though I had no idea what theirs was. It only took me that morning to find out.
Everyone’s child belongs to the whole community. I love that place. Being there last week reminded me how much I truly miss every single person there.

I was able to see and hug one of my favorite students, he lost both his brothers. He is such a sweet kid and always has a smile on his face. His strength is amazing to me. I hurt for him although it was great to see that smile on his face. It will take a long long time for that community to heal from such an awful accident.

God has his fingertips at each one of our pulses and he decides when he is going to take us each home. I know that I will hug my kids more and work on my patience with them. I love my children, on Saturday July 19th I was reminded how fragile life is. That there is not a guarantee that we will die before our children. I have cried every day since last Saturday, especially when I look at my children and think of those parents who go to bed knowing that their boys’ bedrooms are empty.
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080725/NEWS01/807250316&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

Denton has a population of 300 people (from the 2000 census)
Please pray for them!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Oh my gosh Heidi...I'm trying to gear myself up to go be social with people I don't know, and I have to say that reading about the memorial and the accident REALLY did not help. That is SO very sad. I cannot immagine...And in such a tiny town where people are so close...it makes it even harder, where everyone you see and everything you do, reminds you...I suppose it would be like that anywhere though. Just horribly tragic. So sorry...

Heidi said...

It is very sad. It really made me fel that I have been very selfish and feeling for myself because of the things I don't have. Those would be material things...I have my 3 healthy children and that is something to be incredibly thankful for.

I know what you mean about meeting knew people. I know lots of people here..I am not necessarily friends with many. I have to depend on my poor hubby to go out with me and be social...he is so not about being social. He is a good sport.